This 12-week (420 hour) training course will prepare students to enter the electrical field in an entry-level position as a competent and qualified helper or apprentice. Many students who complete this course go on to enroll in an electrical apprenticeship programs and later become Journeyperson electricians. The course will cover three phases with safety, work ethics, cooperation and teamwork emphasized throughout.
- Electrical, general safety, and the use of hand and power tools
- The physics and nature of electricity and the application of Ohms Law
- Basic mathematics, series circuits, and parallel circuits
- Voltage, current, and resistance in a direct current circuit
- Symbols and terminology, schematic, and wiring diagrams
- Mechanical components and fittings used in the electrical trades
- Using tools to construct various hands-on shop projects
- Measuring, cutting, bending, reaming, and threading different types of conduit
- Installing boxes and connecting them with conduits
- Assemble various switches, lighting, and receptacle configurations
- Students practice installation of series and parallel circuits
- Students practice installation of non-metallic sheathed cable, BX cable, electrical non-metallic tubing, old work, and new workboxes
- Each student will install a complete electrical service on a simulated work site – students will practice installing lighting circuits, and conduit
- In preparation for employment, students are coached in resume writing, cover letters, and interviewing skills
Certificates and Certifications Achieved Upon Course Completion:
- NCCER Core Curriculum
- NCCER Electrical Level 1
- 1st Year Apprenticeship Certification
- Advanced Placement into Second Year of the Delaware Apprenticeship Program
- 10 Hour OSHA Certification
- Delaware State Electrical Apprentice License
- Forklift Training
Classes are Monday - Friday from 7:30am to 3:00pm.
Cycle One: August 22, 2023 – November 11, 2022
Cycle Two: November 21, 2022 – February 17, 2023
Cycle Three: February 27, 2023 – May 19, 2023
Background Check and Drug Screening: $140.00
Requirements for Enrollment:
- Delaware Resident at least 18 Years of Age
- Valid Delaware Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Selective Service Registration (males only)
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Ability to Pass a Reading and Math Exam
- Pass Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening
- Reliable Transportation
Click below to apply!
Going from selling beer to becoming an electrician. I would not be where I am today if it was not for Delaware Skills Center and all of the amazing staff - free training and school!!! Only being in the trade for less than a year, I was able to qualify for the 2019 IDEAL National Championship and represent the State of Delaware as their apprentice.
The Electrical instructor Roy Arters was fantastic, with extensive experience in the field, and a talent for teaching. The class was small enough to allow lots of individual attention to teach student. Standard textbook study was combined with helpful instructional video, examples of career specializations, tool and equipment demonstrations, and a couple hundred hours of hands-on practical workshop time, working on both individual and team projects under attentive instructor supervision. The course concluded with guided professional resume building and submission to employers, with more than half the students employed or with offers before the last day of class.
J David Rollins
The Delaware Skills Center was awesome! I went there for electrical and learned a lot!